What to do when you make a marketing mistake, the 5 alternative fixes:
Marketing is a very important part of business. It’s what catches people’s attention and can either draw them in or push them away. It is also very important to proofread the marketing materials you send out to the public. One mistake and you could be looked down upon. So what happens if you do make a marketing mistake?
First, you should realize that we are all human and we all make mistakes. Even the very best in the industry have made mistakes. The neat thing about mistakes is that they can either be fixed or be learned from.
Did you happen to catch our latest mailer? The title had a typo. The title stated that Designs by Dave O. was offering, “Free Website Website Hosting”. It’s very possible that most people did not catch that small mistake. Whether you caught it or not, think to yourself, how would you handle that mistake? Would you fix the typo and resend the mailer or would you find an alternative?
The most obvious solution for any mistake would be to fix it immediately. However, some mistakes do not have such an easy fix. Here are some alternatives to turn your marketing mistakes into something positive:
1. Made a typo or error on a marketing material? Give an offer to whoever brings the incorrect item to you. You can give them something for free or some sort of discount. This will turn your mistake into something fun and rewarding for the customer. It will change their opinion of you and your company.
2. Don’t always bring light to your mistake. If you make a simple typo error and it’s too late to fix it, don’t call attention to it. Don’t send out another item stating that you made a typo. Unless its false advertising, leave the mistake alone, sometimes people won’t even catch it.
3. If your mistake is bigger than just a typo and requires more than just a quick fix, make sure you always do right by the audience the material has reached. If you make a mistake such as unintentional false advertising, then send out an apology and a call to action to make things right again.
4. See it as a good thing. Like the phrase, “Any publicity is good publicity”, your mistake might catch people’s attention and they will check out your business or service regardless. They might start talking to their friends and family and before you know it, you’ve got word of mouth marketing happening! Your mistake just might be a blessing in disguise.
5. Having a plan in place to catch the mistakes before time. If you have a system in place or people to run your marketing ideas by first, then mistakes may not happen in the first place. It is very important to proofread and fact check before sending anything out to the public.
With these few alternative fixes in mind, you will do just fine if you make a marketing mistake. Remember, we are all human and all make mistakes, it’s how you handle them that makes the difference.
Contact us for more help and information.